Monday, January 25, 2010

Drake Covers Complex Magazine



Drizzy Drake is on the cover of the February edition of Complex magazine. In this issue he talks about life after 'Degrassi', the negative feedback he got from his 'Best I Ever Had' video, his loyalty to Young Money, his injury, and more.


Check out a couple of excerpts from the interview:

Complex: Drake on His Loyalty To Young Money
"Everyone seems to have a comment for me about Young Money, “f*ck Young Money” or “Why are you with them?” But what people have to understand is maybe there was a way for me to be successful without Young Money. But we’ll never know. My loyalty is to Wayne, and that goes for anybody who genuinely believes in me. We don’t have the most personal relationship where we hang out every day or we talk that much, but Wayne’s admiration and respect goes without being verbally said. He put his neck out there for me at a very early stage, and those actions tell me everything I need to know about how he feels about me as an artist."


Complex: There was also a rumor going around that you ghost write for Wayne.

[Laughs]" You know, we're all great artists, great minds, and we all just contribute to each other, there's been times when Wayne has helped me out, and I'm sure, I hope, I've influenced him to do or say things on tracks. We help each other out, that's part of being two artists who respect each others creativity."


Complex: How's the atmosphere at Young Money now that Wayne is about to go to jail?
"We don't really talk about it. It's surreal to me still. I guess on the day that it really happens, I'll start thinking about what I gotta do. I wanna have a talk with Wayne and ask him what he needs from me."


Complex: Take me through your songwriting process.
"With R&B, I know my sound. I know I make records to fuck to. [Laughs.] The way Jay and Wayne write rap, I write R&B. I don't write lyrics down on paper. The other day, I was in the studio with Alicia Keys, and I wrote two songs just speaking to her. I wish I could write that way for rap. With my rap songs, there's so much of me I have to give that I don't know if I could ever just flow. The thing is, I'm a great rapper. There's two elements to rap: having the thoughts, and then being a great rapper. I can really rap the shit that I write. My tone, my inflection. When I listen to myself on records, I don't feel like I don't belong there. When I listen to "Forever," with three of my heroes, I fit right in.
.

To read the entire interview, Peep This!

No comments: