Friday, June 12, 2009

Mary J Defends Auto-Tune: You Do What You Do, I Do What I Do


Could auto-tune be the cause of the clash between the King & Queen? Mary J Blige speaks out about Jay Z's 'Death of Autotune' .


MJB spoke to Angie Martinez on Hot 97 says and made it clear that 'The One' where Mary uses auto-tune, isn't indicative of the rest of her upcoming album.


"This whole album I've done is Mary," Blige said Thursday (June 11) as a guest on Angie Martinez's New York radio show.


Blige said "The One" introduces the world to "Crazy Mary." "It was for effect," she said of using Auto-Tune. "I wanted 'Crazy Mary' to get her shine on. She couldn't get her shine with my regular voice. I used the effect. I used it as a telephone effect or reverb."


Blige said she's indifferent to the whole Auto-Tune debate in the wake of Jay-Z's "D.O.A."

"I won't say that it bothers me, because people do what they have to do," she told Martinez. "I can't pass judgment. Everyone else does what they do, and everyone has their own opinion. To each his own. Do what you do, because I do what I do.

Blige also talked about the now-infamous Internet footage of her stepdaughter punching Charles Hamilton in the jaw. Briana Latrise, who is Hamilton's ex-girlfriend, punched him in the face during a rap battle when the MC got a little too disrespectful.


"I feel really bad," said Blige, who questioned why the incident was put on the Net. "It doesn't make me proud to see her doing things like that."

No comments: